Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tomorrow...ugh

Well tomorrow is a day I have not looked forward to.  One person whom I know pretty well IS looking forward to it quite excitedly.  I hope apprehensively as well.  He is getting out of jail.  I know I sound callous NOT being thrilled that a friend is finally getting out of jail--what a relief--whew!  Why am I not happy for him?  Because I don't think he got it.  He went to jail for very serious offenses against people.  These offenses hurt scores more people than the victims themselves.  He was a leader, a mentor, a counselor, a friend.  And he blew it--miserably.  It is not that I cannot forgive.  I can.  I do.  I have...and I will continue.  But I am (sorrily) not convinced that his jail term has taught him "the lessons"  that I feel he needed to learn.  I believe he is an addict.  I believe he is a true to the core narcissist.  Consequently, he has been candidly able to look at himself and how this "journey" has impacted him and his learning, his growth blah blah blah.  What about the hundreds other people?  What about his family?  What about their (our) feelings, our growth, our "journey?"  I know it DOES matter to him, but HE has himself so inflated that he can't see the people around him very well, because he is so...well, fat.  Just reminded me of a scene in Willy Wonka.  Very fitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment