Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Life Lessons from the Garden

So God used my garden to teach me or reinforce for me some life lessons. For those of you who don't garden, bear with me.
1). OK, so last year we had a "brilliant" idea, or so we thought. We had lots of green and yellow beans that were left on the vine too long and they got "woody". So we decided to shell them and dry the seeds for planting this year. Well as we were planting them this year, a friend told me that it likely wouldn't work because most seeds in the store are hybrids and aren't intended to fruit except for one season. Well isn't that nice I thought as I finished the planting. Anyway, I thought we would chance it and the plants started to grow like everything else. Great I thought! Well that is until I realized they weren't flowering, which in vegetable gardening means...no veggies. I was really sad, because we love green and yellow beans and I hardly got any. I did plant some straight from the pkg.
2). I have not fertilized at all and I have barely weeded due to heavy rains causing mammoth amounts of weeds to grow. I got overwhelmed and just let the weeds grow along with the veggies.
3). The heat this year made gardening a bear. Consequently, I did not tend to the garden like I should. So because of that, my radishes all went to seed and a lot of my broccoli did the same.
WOW, bad year for gardening! But the lessons to be learned.....If we don't tend to the garden of our life (personally and with Jesus), the weeds will grow and grow, and sometimes become overwhelming. Proactivity is key. Fertilizing is a must for good growth and healthy fruit . AND weirdness of all weirdness, just this last week...last week of August might I remind you, the green bean leaves started to sprout flowers! I was going to tear them all out of the ground because I thought it was useless. In spite of my ignorance and lack of tending, there still was fruit. Amazing!
Oh and did I mention that there was a sneaky snake in the beans today? Hmmmm.

And by the way did you know that according to Webster's Dictionary, proactivity is not a word?

No comments:

Post a Comment