Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Crisis Junkies and Drama Queens

We have all probably used these phrases, but have you ever really stopped to think about what you are saying?  Today I did, and oh boy!  Here is what brought it on.  A friend of mine (who, by the way, I would not have labeled a crisis junkie until today), got something that she really "wanted" for a long time.  It was not a material thing, it was an outcome--she had victory.  When she called me to tell me the outcome--her mood was subdued and melancholy.  I honestly assumed that the outcome was not what she had hoped for and it had gone poorly.  Quite the opposite was true!  Whereas she should have been ecstatic and praising God, it was almost as if she were sad.  And then it struck me--she WAS sad.  Now don't get me wrong, I do believe she did want this thing to turn out the way it did, but there seems to be a bigger part of her that is grieving the loss of that bad thing to dwell on, complain about, talk about and be upset over.  The crisis is gone and she is sad.  WOW!  So I am rethinking the whole crisis junkie phrase.  I am defining it this way.  A person who is addicted to crisis will actually be more rattled and less stable when circumstances and relationships are the most stable and least rattled!  And so what do they do, they go in search of or CREATE drama or crisis.  They surround themselves with negativity, they complain, they engross and entangle themselves in someone else's yuk, dwell on anything in their lives that they figure is not right (a situation, health problem, morsel of gossip), and that becomes the new thing.  They literally feed on this stuff.  Their reality is literally not right if there is not something wrong~~~YUK!

No comments:

Post a Comment