Thursday, August 12, 2010

Terrifying Drive Home

I went fishing with Lydia tonight for a few hours after dinner. She is not much into fishing {yet, if I have any say}, but was more content to eat snacks and play with worms. At least she is not grossed out by worms and fish--that's a start! :) Anyway, I knew there were storms coming so when I saw the first few flashes of lightening, we packed up and headed home. It seemed fine but within minutes it turned black and the sky was on fire. Lydia said, "The lightening is SOO beautiful!" I tried my best to agree, while listening to the radio about the tornado warnings and high winds etc. that were heading right at us! I started to feel my heart thumping and hands shake because it was sooo black, I couldn't tell if there was a tornado or not? I did actually wonder if we should get out of the car and hit the ditch because the sky was so strange. It was mostly black with this patch of eerie pink with a wall cloud inside of it. When the rain started I was on Skogman Lake Road and could literally see nothing. At that point, Lydia was saying, "I don't like it!" over and over and all I could do was pray. I seriously thought we were in the middle of a touchdown it was so bad. I drove like a turtle and finally reached the highway. Cars were stopped because there was no moving really. Finally some people started to move and I just followed the taillights to our road. OM Gosh! I was shaking like a leaf when I got home. Thank you Lord for keeping us safe!!!

2 comments:

  1. We were stranded in a covered bridge in Cambridge. Out running ya know. Didn't realize how bad it really was until we tried to get home. Had to turn around and take another road. Only to find out the power was out all over. Where did we put the flashlights and do they work?

    ReplyDelete