Friday, May 14, 2010

Brave and Honest

I just came home from seeing Robin Hood. A friend invited Jeremy and I, and so we went. I really had no great expectations, but I did love the Robin Hood: Prince of Theives movie that came out when I was in high school, so I figured it was worth a shot. If nothing more, I wanted to compare the two to see how they paired up. Long story short, this was a great movie.

At one point in the movie, the king wanted to go out among the soldiers and find just one honest man. He cloaked himself to remain anonymous and went on his search. There is a scuffle between Robin and another man and as a result the king's cover is blown. Every man bows low when they realize it is the king and there is silence. He confronts Robin and his enemy and asks who is responsible for the fight. Robin answers first and says , "It was I your majesty; I threw the first punch." The king tells his assistant "Here he is, brave and honest." The story line goes on, but I was struck by this scene. I was reminded of 2 Chronicles 16:9, "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."

I want to be like Robin! I want my King to seek me out, and find me even at the moment of my foolishness as one whose heart is fully committed to Him. And while I am bowed low, I want Him to say of me that I am "brave and honest." Robin goes on to be a well respected man of war, though a common thief..........hmmmm, things to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment